Caldey Abbey was built in 1910 by Anglican Benedictine
monks who came to the Island in 1906. Under the direction
of Abbot Aelred Carlyle, the building was designed by Penarth
architect John Coates-Carter in traditional Italianate style.
of its unusual design, Caldey Abbey has received
much attention in recent years and is now a grade
II* listed building.
The Anglican Community
converted to Roman Catholicism in 1913 and sold the Abbey to monks of the Cistercian Order in 1926. They took up residence in 1929 and still
occupy Caldey Abbey today.
The Abbey Church
(above & below) has a beautiful simplicity
befitting its purpose as a place of prayer for
The Refectory (left) where the monks have their
communal meals is an imposing oak panelled hall
with a fine timbered roof.
The Cloister (left) is a
place of silence and quiet contemplation set
around a central garden known as the cloister